Local Pre-School help with Christmas Salvation Army AppealDecember 4th, 2012
Horfield Welly Pre-School is taking part in the Salvation Army Christmas Present appeal. I was delighted to be contacted by a local parent who told me the purpose of the groups involvement is two fold. They are keen for their pre-school children to learn the importance and value of giving, not just receiving gifts, and secondly they want to support the good work of the Salvation Army.
Thousands of children and their families across the UK will enjoy a happier Christmas this year thanks to The Salvation Armys Christmas Present Appeal. The Little Wellies invite you to donate new unwrapped toys and gifts for children, families, older people and homeless people in need this Christmas. The gifts will be then be wrapped and distributed to those in need across the nation. See below for the recommended list of gifts from the Salvation Army website.
The first part of the plan takes place on Wednesday 5th December at Rimandos Cafe, 395 Gloucester Road (BS7 8TS) from 10am – 5pm. Rimandos are offering free soft play entry in exchange for a small gift donation to the Christmas Present Appeal. This special event is open to the whole community and everybody is invited to come and join in the fun, whilst doing something great for others. Also at the venue will be Body Shop consultant Sue Appleford who will be providing free hand massages for parents and children between 1pm – 5pm.
Once all the presents have been collected by the Little Wellies they are running a second fantastic day on Tuesday 11th December. This will be their Giving Day at the pre-school, where children will be able to donate new toys for this appeal or bring in old toys/clothes which will be taken to a local charity shop by a working party of the kids. The Salvation Army is due to attend the school at 11am to formally receive the gifts collected at Rimandos and at pre-school.
I look forward to going along next week with my gift and reporting from the Giving Day on the 11th. Do please all join in the fun! For more information on the Salvation Army visit
http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/christmas-present-appeal or for further information on Horfield Welly Pre-School visit http://horfieldwellypreschool.wordpress.com/
The Salvation army believe every child deserves a new gift at Christmas so they are unable to take used or second hand items for the Christmas Present Appeal, here is their Suggested Gift List for Children and Young People.
- 0-3 years: dolls, teddy bears, cot mobiles, baby clothes, bath toys, CDs of suitable music and nursery rhymes, puzzles.
- 3-5: dolls and action figures, cars, lorries, DVDs and CDs (music and nursery rhymes), colouring sets, pencils, crayons, books, puzzles.
- 5-9: educational games & toys, stationery (colouring sets, pencils, crayons, school sets), CDs & family friendly DVDs, books, puzzles, wordsearch, crosswords.
- 9-12: games and toys, stationery, CDs, DVDs, books, T-Shirts, hair ornaments, gloves, scarves, hats
- 13-16: CDs, DVDs, books, make-up and toiletries (please try to ensure non-allergic ingredients if possible), gloves, scarves, hats, T-Shirts, hair accessories.