Bristol Independents Day & the Gloucester RoadSeptember 8th, 2011
On the 17th September 2011, the Bristol Independents campaign will launch a pilot project highlighting 8 of Bristol’s local shopping areas on recipe postcards featuring ingredients that can be purchased from local shops in each area. Our very own Gloucester Road has been selected as one of the areas to take part. The Gloucester Road Goats Cheese Salad recipe is sure to be delicious! Local traders involved include Scoopaway Health Foods, Murrays Butchers, Biggies Vegetable Shop, Gardeners Patch, The Olive Shed and The Bread Store.
There will also be a competition where you can nominate your favourite local food business, and in turn, be entered into a prize draw to win local goodies. Please visit the projects website to take part and support your much-loved trader.
The initiative plans to include many more independent businesses and high streets in the coming months. The 17th is just the beginning of a campaign to support Bristols local independent traders! Associated events and promotions will be announced closer to the day.
Why support local independent traders?
- The Who Feeds Bristol report has revealed:
- Bristol has around 180 specialist independent food shops owned by 140 businesses that sell food from which you can cook a meal from scratch (includes bakers).
- 10 out of 35 wards have no greengrocer.
- Half the wards have less than 10 independent food retailers.
- Specialist independent food shops are disappearing. They generally offer competitive prices, dont charge a premium for small volumes and can respond to requests; many buy from local suppliers.
How can I get involved?
Visit the website, take the good food pledge and enter the competition. Enjoy the events laid on across Bristol from September 17th 2011.
For more information contact Jane Stevens on 0117 966 1639Bristol Independents, Gardeners Patch, Gloucester Road, Recepies, Scoopaway Health Store, The Bread Store, The Olive Shed Back to news