Join Glos Rd Central to celebrate Mayfest!April 30th, 2015
The many Mayfest events will culminate with the arrival of the Jack on the Green at 3.45 pm. This year you will be able to enjoy the Jack in the Green procession and joyous dancing on the first section of Bishop Road, which will be closed, to safely host the merriment.
Traders will lay on a day of activities leading up to Jack’s arrival. There will be biscuit decorating with Joe’s Bakery, a T-shirt competition with Xpress Printing, May Fair crown making outside of Moodles and needle felting around Room 212.
Bishopston Fish Bar will be offering some free mini chips or lollipops to some of the children on the day. It will be the ideal time to try out their lovely new table and chairs that have been provided for their customers to enjoy this Spring.
Choirs and musicians such as the Bishop Road and Ashley Down Community Choir will be performing and Mr Gotalot – a puppet shopkeeper – will be popping up to entertain the crowds. There will tea and cake, burgers and Italian sausage stands.
The Friends of Horfield Common and the Golden Hill Community allotments will be joining in, along with larger organisations such as Sus Trans, the Bristol Pound, Your Street Gift Cards and Lifecycle.
Avon Wildlife Trust will be launching the My Wild City campaign at Mayfest. Based outside Bristol Tools, they will be giving out wildflower plugs, seeds and information. Residents are being asked to help transform their gardens and open spaces to attract wildlife right up to our doorsteps. This is a Bristol wide campaign, tying in with Green Capital Find. Find out more http://www.avonwildlifetrust.org.uk/mywildcity
You can also have a peep down Bishop Lane to catch up on the progress of 212 Straw House, the straw bale building being constructed to the rear of Room 212. Keeping it local and thinking eco all ties in with Bristol being the Green Capital for Europe 2015.
The Glos Rd Central Mayfest promises to be a fantastic day for all the family. For more information, see Glos Rd Central Facebook, Twitter and the new website www.glosrdcentral.co.uk or contact Sarah Thorp at Room 212. www.room212.co.uk
The free event has been organised to give something back to local people who support our fantastic high street and to celebrate the wealth of wonderful independent shops that live upon it.
Timings detailed below may vary on the day so check Glos Rd Central Facebook and Twitter for details.
Live Music timings – On Bishop Road (closed section from Glos Rd – Bishop Lane)
- 2 pm Bishop Rd Community choir
- 2.30 pm Bristol Folk Choir
- 3.45 pm Arrival of Jack in the Green
Cake will be serving tea and cake on Bishop Road from 10 am – 5.30 pm
Outside Room 212 – Midday – 5.30 pm. Grupo Ritmo a Latin, Jazz, Calypso, Salsa mix. Special guests will feature from midday.
On Bishop Road – 11 am to 2 pm. Mr Gotalot’s Fancy Dress Photo Booth.
Throughout the day!
- Free balloons and lollies with Bishopston Matters.
- Get crafty with nature outside Room 212 and Marialina.
- Uncanny Creations needle felting outside Fig.
- Crown making outside Moodles.
- Face painting – various places.
- Biscuit decorating outside Joe’s Bakery.
- Design a T-shirt outside Xpress Printing.
- Avon Wildlife Trust wild flower give away outside Bristol Tools.
- Burger Theory at Golden Lion.
- Pet goody bags outside Vets for Pets.
- Italian Sausage company outside Millards.
- BBQ and Pudsey’s pickles outside Giles Butcher.
- Games outside Area 51.
- Back massages outside Osna.
- Fun activities at Boston Tea Party.
- Market and music at Lashings.
- Free chips and lollies for kids at Bishopston Fish Bar.
- Also look out for bike powered smoothie maker by Sustrans, Pound swap by Bristol Pound, Bike advice from Lifecycle and stalls by friends of Horfield Common and the Golden Hill Community.